Let's Pretend.

I wanna pretend.
Let's pretend that it's my first time,  that your charm really blew my mind.

Let's pretend that everything is like yesterday,
that loving you was not a mistake.
That you knew what love is when I told you how much I need you.

Let's pretend I didn't fall too fast for the idea of who you were,
that the soft hints of hate you missed in your words didn't even exist.

Let's pretend that you never left,
that you are not living life and loving other prettier girls.
That I am here, off in the romantic future, alone, drinking myself into a stupor, crying at small stresses.

Let's pretend that you no longer cross my mind, that cradling a bottle of vodka to my chest and searching for inner peace at the bottom of it, is a routine I have to follow.

Can we pretend that not even once did your smile get me drunk and that right now I feel like I'm splitting into eighteen different people and I hate all of them.

But poets are hard to love, we hold onto our sadness. We ask you to write for us, to pose for us, to be our muse.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts